Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cross race #1 (KC Cup / Swope Park)

Hey Gang,

There was a cross race today, it was fun.

Music

The race was at Swope park, 2pm. i raced as a cat 3, up from the 4 that i was last season. We raced 50 minutes which seems like a long time for the 3's. As daunting as that seemed i just kept telling myself 'remember all the 3 hr mtn bike races you've done this year, 50 minutes ain't nothing.'

And really, it wasn't that bad. Sure my back hurts, my neck hurts, i have blisters from not wearing gloves (gloves are for smart people) but all in all i feel okay. Plus i finished mid pack, which i was happy with. Sure the pack was small and at least three people who would normally have beat me had mechanicals... but whose keeping track of all that.

The course was a lot of fun. Probably unlike any cross course i'll do this year. It was a mix of traditional cross terrain, dirt single-track (including a huge log we had to go over) and pavement. I'd say it really tested all aspects of a cyclist... and i'm all for that.

Next week is Manion's cross, be there!

Ciao

2 comments:

  1. Good job yesterday... I saw you closing in my later in the race and if it was not for that last bit of single track you would have caught me...and yes 50 min is a long time for a cross race in 90 degrees weather :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn no wonder you did so well... You were bitten by that Giant irradiated spider seen above.

    ReplyDelete