Monday, April 18, 2016

God's Country Mountain Bike Race

I raced my mountain bike yesterday. 

Did the sport / cat 2 race at the Lawrence Riverfront Trails. 

It was a great day. 

Showed up late as usual but was psyched to see about 40 racers in my category. Including teammates Ivan, Danny, Jon S, and someone I didn't know. But he seemed like a lovely fellow. Ray also raced earlier in the day so we had a good turnout. 

I lined up next to Ivan, in the second row. The start was a shock to the system and I was breathing hard and unable to hold the wheels in front of me. Still I was glad to have hit the singletrack in almost exactly the right position (I seem to have a knack for that) because Nobody was sitting on my wheel begging to get around. 

My bad habit of not properly warming up continued but I felt like my legs had some power to give as the race went on. That was encouraging as I haven't ridden much this year. 

My 2016 plan is be fast for cyclocross and do some crits and mountain bike races leading up to that. So far I'd say I'm off to a good start. 

I wish I had warmed up properly because right now I feel like I'm not too far off from being competitive in the sport category, but I think that's all in my head. I'm probably a long way off. 

In the end I finished 12 or 13 out of around 45 sport racers. I'm trying to convince the wife to do a family trip to Springfield, MO next Sunday for their mountain bike race. That's her home town so I think I can make it happen. 

Below are three pictures from the day. Two are from the Bourgeois Pig (pre race and post race). I told you it was a great day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment