Friday, April 15, 2011

Riding my road bike down memory lane


I mentioned a few weeks ago that i finally had a pack finish in a race on my road bike. Meaning that i got dropped in every prior road bike race i had ever done. Well I remembered one other pack finish, a Perry Dam race last year. I'm awesome.

All this thinking is making me sentimental, so lets take a trip down memory lane and revisit my entertaining road bike race history...

2009

Spring Fling - First race ever. Dropped at the first corner, with a smile on my face.

Spring Fling - Second race ever. Dropped at the second corner. Progress.

Power & Light Crit - Hung with the pack longer than ever before, which doesn't mean much, ended up pulling myself before i had a heart attack. It was hot outside and my lungs were seriously burning. This course is torture.

Tour of Lawrence (crit) - Got dropped early and the memory is fuzzy on this one, but according to USA Cycling's results I finished! I remember trying to work with another dude who had been dropped, but he didn't share my enthusiam. Ended up finishing one spot in front of Roger Harrison!

Tour of Lawrence (circuit race) - I think we did three laps and i think i got dropped on the first time up the climb, but us slow pokes regrouped and i'll have you know that i was the fastest up the climb out of the really slow people. That's where i thrive. Here i am flashing my trademark move.


Sunflower State Games Road Race - Opted for the longer of the two cat 5 races, dropped in the first 8 minutes. I vividly remember my teamate Nate glancing back as i drifted off the pace and imaginaing what he must be thinking. Probably something along the lines of 'sucks to be that guy'.

Tour of KC (KCK Crit) - A side cramp ended what would of been one of my least terrable races to date. New teammate and race newbie Jake was still going as i was sitting on the side of the course. That was motivation.

Tour of KC (Old Overland Park Crit) - My last road race of the year, and by far my best to date. I almost felt like i was a part of the race instead of just watching it pass me by. Still got lapped, but just barely. Spent the last half rotating in a pace-line with three other dudes, that was the first time i'd done that. Now it's starting to get fun.

2010

Spring Fling - Dropped after about 5 minutes, this seems familiar.

Dam Race - Did not get dropped!!!! Finished 15th. Easily my best race ever.


Spring Fling - Dropped after about 10 minutes, i guess i was still lacking that 'high end,' or maybe i'm just allergic to Clinton Lake.

Dam Race - 4 laps this time instead of 3, got dropped, finished in 15th. Dropped my chain 15 yards from the finish and ended up running across the line. American Flyers style, baby.

Tour of St. Louis (circuit race) - I was headed for a good finish but riding at the back proved to be my undoing. Two guys went down and took me with them. I immediately popped up, and (unaware of the free lap rule) started to chase. I never caught back on. It's a shame because this course was waaay fun and i was feeling good.

Tour of St. Louis (crit) - My most successful crit to date. I again raced in the back so i had to keep working around people who were getting dropped. Towards the end of the race i couldn't tell which group i was in, but we were towards the front. Turns out we were in the second group, i had enough juice to sprint at the end, good stuff. The cycling obsession was now growing at a geometric rate.


Le Tour de St. Genevieve - Oh what might have been. This was going to be it, i was feeling good and knew i had a chance to fight for the win. I could just feel it. It was a hilly road race with 3 main climbs. I was pratically first to the top of the first climb, same with the second. Except at the top of that second climb, while shifting from small to big ring, my chain got stuck and i had to get off and fix it. I tried my hardest to catch back up... but never did. S*it!

Tulsa Tough (crit) - My first race as a cat 4 and the biggest field i had ever seen. Got smoked.

Tulsa Tough (circuit race) - My second race as a cat 4. Got smoked. I did however remember to use my free lap after a flat, and even got to ride on a zipp wheel. Which was nice. This pic pretty much sums up my entire Tulsa Tough experience. Cant wait to go back!


Tour of KC (Cliff Drive) - Hot. Finished 39th of 55. Blah. I want another shot at this race.


Tour of KC (Power & Light Crit) - This course is punishing. Pulled myself after about 15 or 20 minutes. I was dying. I've raced this course twice and it's kicked my a** both times. I want a third shot.


Tour of Lawrence (circuit race) - I've never been more pissed after a race. This one sucked. I love Lawrence, I used to live there, I love this race, i'd been looking forward to it since i raced it the year before. Anyway... three seconds after starting someone can't get their foot in the pedal and two dudes go down... they take me with them. I kill myself catching back up to the group and by the time we hit the big climb i'm breathing a mile a minute. On the way up some dude next to me says 'you better ease off'. He can hear my breathing and knows whats in store. I didn't. 15 seconds later i did. Dropped. I don't even remember if i finished.


Tour of Lawrence (crit) - A chance at redemption after the prior days s*it show. Plus my parents were in the crowd so i had to make 'em proud. In a very unspectacular way this was a great race and a turning point for me. I hung with the pack until two laps to go when i just ran out of juice. Rode the last two laps solo, didn't get lapped. Finished 2nd to last, but i finished and it was legit. Mom was so proud.


St. Johns Powerful Medicine Crit (Springfield, MO) - A pack finish was in the cards on this day but it was derailed when with 5 laps to go my groin had become completely numb and i pulled out due to the pain. Yes, it was numb and painful at the same time. Extremely painful. X, my girlfriend, was in the same race. She beat me (and a lot of other dudes). I now have a new saddle, it helps, a little.

2011

It's just getting started... stay tuned.



1 comment: