Sunday, May 1, 2011

Joseph Sheehan Road Race... Houston we have a problem

The weather rocket ship crashed and burned today. It hit an astroid named 'The Joseph Sheehan Road Race'

I raced cat 4, 50 miles. The first 13 miles were good, then it turned into one of those horrible introspective acid trips, you ever have those?

What i mean by that is that after my chain got stuck and i was forced off the bike to fix it, resulting in me never catching the peloton and riding 35 miles by myself with a bike that kept skipping gears, i started to question what the hell i was doing out there.

Luckily i came to the conclusion that s*it happens and you've just got to roll with it. But for 35 miles my emotions were all over the place. "this is stupid, why am i even doing this?" "Relax, it's no big deal, you'll be fine" "Maybe i could move to Mexico where it's sunny every day" "oh look, a dead cat" "oh look, another dead cat."

So today sucked. Once i realized i wouldn't catch the peloton and the gears started skipping i stopped racing and just rode to the finish. I may have been the very last person to cross the line, the cat 5's passed me, the women's open passed me, the juniors passed me, then at the very end the women's 4's passed me. I'll have you know that i would have smoked those broad's.

What made today even worse is that the team had a great turnout and i was really looking forward to racing with my friends. Everyone was in a good spirits at the start line and i could tell it was going to be a fun day.

But, s*it happens.

It's funny, this is the exact same thing that happened to me at the St. Genevieve road race last year. What is it with me and road races? Must be operator error.

Easily the best part of my trip to Leavenworth were the Margaritas at lunch.



1 comment:

  1. That was a bummer, dude. I was looking around for you in the race, hoping we could do some work together. We'll get 'em next time. It was cool seeing you and racing with you, though. And like you said, shit happens. It'll happen again. But cool shit happens too.

    ReplyDelete